Sunday, August 15, 2010

ICHE

That's right: ICHE, or Intentional Church Hopping Experience. This is something I thought of and planned out last summer, but didn't get around to. Basically, I will be going to a different, carefully chosen because of its uniqueness, church each week and making note of the music, the order of the service, interesting notes, and any conversations I have with the members or clergy. I also want to contact clergy members (in person or through email) and get their testimony and what they think are the hallmarks of their church, the things that make them unique from other churches and denominations.

Now is a good time to do this because it will be good to get a view of the Christian church as a whole, not just the part that I'm familiar with (a nondenominational Bible church), but also the corners of Christianity I've only heard about. I want to understand better the ways that different people perceive God and the Bible. (I know that right now I'm not really believing in anything, but I can't help but capitalize those words.) I'm also excited about conversing with clergy members- people who are so serious about their faith they've made it their career (or were serious in the past)- and find out why they started believing in God and why they still do. Honestly, another reason I'm doing it is to avoid my church for a while. It's been hard to go there (I can't not or my friends would be onto me), but this gives me an excuse to be away.

I'm about to leave for my first church, a big church in my community called Light of the World. It is nondenominational, but from what I hear from others and from the website, I know that it is more charasmatic than what I'm used to, and that there will be speaking in tongues.... I'm kind of nervous, but I think it should be interesting and a good start to my project. I'll be back with more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment