Saturday, September 11, 2010

What if...

As skeptical as I may sound sometimes in these post, I haven't made up my mind at all about where I stand. Today at work, I was mentally drifting off to the land of "What if" and I came to this question: If I found out that Christianity was bogus, how would I spend my Sunday mornings?

Well one thing that anyone is able to benefit from in church is the sense of community. I love the group of friends I have at my church. I would definitely miss them. But that community of like-minded people could be gained elsewhere... Another thing that's great about church is the fact that you choose to go there (well, unless you're under the age of 18 and your parents make you) because you are interested in religion. So a church alternative could be something I chose based off of an interest in it. That sentence was awkward, but I'm tired. Lastly, church, to me, felt life-giving. I was participating in something that made me happy. A church alternative should be something that's not just level one fun, but level ten. You know? Something that gives me joy, maybe helps me connect with nature. Oh dear, maybe I'll become Wiccan ;)

Ideas that incorporate community, interests, and likability:

  • Sunday morning book club
  • Sunday morning bike trips
  • Coffee shop chat time with friends (it'd have to be other churchless friends)
  • Brunch club (I think I keep calling these groups clubs because that makes it sound like it will be a regular thing and that there will be others involved.)
  • Spanish club :)

It will be a while before I partake (if I partake!) in any of those activities because first I need to figure out what makes the most sense. I would also need to gain the guts to tell my parents (did I mention I live at home with two very Christian parents who've always seen me as very true to the Faith?) why I wasn't getting prettied up each Sunday morning. And friends... The idea scares me. But if it comes to that, I guess I have some comfort in the thought of discussing Beatrice and Virgil over a cup of joe instead of going along with something I don't really believe like some phony.

Other Sunday morning suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Starting with my sister, then my mom and myself, we all found community and "family" at yoga. I'm hardly going anymore, but pretty much every Sunday, if not any other time during the week. I don't generally ever "meditate" during it, or focus on myself, but I do learn an incredible amount about how I want to teach better and listen to the yoga teachers and take things from them to incorporate into my own teaching practices.

    The offer for you to move in with me always stands! (Ahem.) I'd be WAY happy to do a book club and yoga and brunch groups with you every week... (Please, please, please...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dunno where to post this for you (figured FB might be out), so I'm opting for here:

    An NPR story I heard on my way home made me think of you. I wonder what you'll think of it?

    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129709336

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa, thanks for the article! How interesting. There's also http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page and, of course, http://www.godtube.com/

    ReplyDelete