Monday, November 8, 2010

Religion- you just can't escape it!

You know What About Bob, right?  If you don't, open a new browser window, go to amazon.com and buy yourself a copy for 99 cents.  Classic early 90's movie!  Anyway, you know how Bob wants to go on a vacation from his problems?  Well guess what?  I've tried.  They follow you.  You may initially think you've outran them, but they will catch up to you.

I didn't go on a vacation to escape my problems.  I went to California this weekend because a distant cousin (who I hadn't even every met!) was getting married, and when you're given a chance to go to a Malibu beach wedding, you take it!

However, my carefree weekend in LA/ Malibu was not thought free.  From the moment my parents and I got into their car at 7 am Saturday morning to head to the airport, I realized that my unbelief would collide with several of the things that they said over the weekend, but that I needed to just hold all of my doubts inside, at least for a little while longer.  Here are some of the ways that I had encounters with religion on my vacation:
  • On the drive to the Kansas City airport, we were running a bit behind.  I just say something like, "They will board half an hour early, so we need to hurry so that we don't miss boarding," and my dad responded by encouraging me to stop worrying and, instead, pray.  "God will take care of us."  But, why would God reward irresponsibility and lack of punctuality like that?  And wouldn't God rewarding us by postponing the flight punish others for their timeliness?  
  • Once our plane landed, I turned on my phone and got a text from one of my college friends who is getting married in May.  She wanted to know if I will sing in her wedding!  I agreed to it, then she let me know that it will be a Catholic Mass... she's not sure which songs she wants in her ceremony yet, but now I'm wondering if I'll be singing lyrics that I really don't agree with.  Weird to think about.  Who knows what I'll believe by May? 
  • At the Enterprise rental car place, while we were waiting for our request for a car to be processed, my dad gave one of the workers a tract.  Now, my dad's favored tract is The Four Spiritual Laws, but the tract he was handing out was one he had found on the ground of the airport.  He was recycle evangelizing, I suppose.  I've never felt okay with tracts because there is no way that leading someone to a hard to arrive at Truth is as easy as giving them a pamphlet.  I was always more for the relationship and discussion sort of evangelism (though I could never really muster up the strength to go beyond wordly talk and into the realm of real "witnessing" in that way either).  Tracts are just embarrassing.  The person giving the tract probably doesn't know the person the tract is being given to very well, yet this person is engaging that person in a very personal way, over something the giver feels is absolutely vital.  Who knows what the receiver's beliefs are, or if this person is even in the mood to consider something so weighty?  And is there really anyone who actually likes hand-outs and pamphlets?  When walking a busy street, who actually enjoys passing someone handing out coupons or party invites?  You feel compelled to treat them like a human being, acknowledge them, and accept what it is they are handing to you.  But where does that paper usually end up within minutes?  Yes, crumpled up in the bottom of your purse or at the top of a trash can.  Or who enjoys those parcels that arrive in your mailbox every day that contain a message the sender wants you to receive, but are not at all personal?  The credit card letter saying you have been pre-approved, the political ad slandering another politician, the charity hoping you will contribute... they all want your money, your energy, your investment.  Why would anyone see a tract differently?  Wow, that was quite a rant, but really, tracts are ineffective. 
  • Once we were in our little hotel room, my dad said "Wow, I know we don't have any, but I would really love an apple."  Mom said, "H___, I told you that I was bringing some!" and my dad said (haha- he's unconventional in this way- he says this all the time, over everything!) "Praise the Lord!"  He wasn't joking, but my mom and I laughed.  It's not like most Christians go around outwardly praising the Lord over every little thing, but I thought the idea of thanking God for things that us humans actually do for ourselves is very common.  Couldn't he just have said, "Thank you, wifey, for thinking of me and my culinary needs?" 
  • At dinner the evening before the wedding, out with family, I ended up at the kids' table :)  Kids being anyone 18-25.  I sat across from a cousin I'd never met (I have a big family!), but who knew about me because of letters I had sent out years ago informing family that I was going on mission trips, and then the post-trip follow up letters.  She is a senior in high school, and clearly a good, kind girl with a sincere desire to get out of her comfort zone and shed some love and light on the world.  She asked me about my experiences overseas, how she could go on an independent mission trip, and what sorts of things to expect.  As I carried on with this conversation, realizing that she is a committed Christian, I realized that I had to give her advice on going on these trips the way a Christian would.  Basically, I donned my old beliefs to get through this talk.  I said things like "I would encourage you to think about YWAM.  You'll encounter a different kind of Christianity than you're used to, but it will force you to reevaluate the way you think about God, and how you see the global church."   She talked to me about how she didn't like going to Young Life because the leaders don't really live the way Christians should.  I nodded sympathetically and even found myself saying something like "It's hard when you can't find a group of encouraging people who can build your faith,"  I know- super hypocritical.  But what use would it have been to change the girl's perception of me?  I just played the part, something I've been doing around basically anyone who doesn't know yet.
  • Not knowing if I should do a Sign of the Cross during the wedding ceremony (it was done many times by most of the people there, at the end of prayers).  Once, I did it, to try and blend in, but it was a flimsy SOTC, reminding me of bad dancers who just don't move sharply enough.
  • During the ceremony, the quirky priest (who had to have been in his 80's) did something I had never seen before.  He took the rings, held them up, and prayed a blessing over them, basically praying magical committal power into them.  He then walked to the front row where the parents and grandparents were standing and asked them to each touch the rings and bless them with him.  It was weird.  Made me think of how superstitious religion can be, or how religion can be altered and made more superstitious than it already is.  When I brought this up later with my parents, kind of saying "What was that?" my Dad (who was raised Catholic) tried to defend it, saying I was being too critical.  I argued back, "Where in the Bible or in any other wedding have you seen blessing inanimate objects encouraged?  Praying a blessing for the couple, yes, but asking for magic to be packed into rings that the couple wears- what??"  He continued to tell me that I should respect the priest's decisions and not question things too much... he has no idea.
  • We only had Saturday evening, all of Sunday, and Monday morning in California, so I wanted to make every minute count.  The wedding lasted until about 4.  After that, most of my family was driving back to their homes in Northern California.  I wanted to do something fun in LA!  Before the wedding, I looked online at different options: maybe go wine tasting, see Hollywood, downtown LA?  My dad, who really values rest, had no interest in any of it.  As I was looking into different options, he encouraged me to not try and pack too much into one day.  We mildly argued about it, then he said, "I'll just pray that you make the right decision."  I said, "Thanks, Dad," annoyedly.  He is so religious.  
  • Mornings in the hotel- my parents both did devotions and read their Bibles.  I just showered and got ready, and if I did read, it was the newspaper or a book.  They must have noticed that I didn't sit with my Bible and journal the way they were.  I think they must be onto me, but they haven't said anything.  I've decided to tell them in the next few weeks.
  •  On the drive back to the airport from our hotel, my parents start discussing one of my cousins who died at the age of 18 in 2002.  It's definitely a family tragedy that shook everyone up considerably in 2002 and continues to be discussed and grieved over today.  The thing about this kid was that he was 18.  He was outgoing and friendly, but was definitely big into the party scene.  He was raised Catholic and his mom (my aunt and god-mother) is a very believing Catholic, but, like so many teenagers, he rebelled.  He just happened to die in a car accident during his rebelling stage.  So, as shameful a thing as it is to do, the question of where this cousin is in eternity is something that was quietly discussed following his death.  He was baptized as a baby and confirmed into the Catholic church, so some say that's enough.  However, my Protestant relatives have said, "But did he ever really accept Jesus into his heart?"  Somehow, my parents got on the topic today.  I turned up my ipod and thought about how strange it is that when your life ends up coming to a halt could, according to the Bible, affect where you end up for all of eternity.  Say this cousin never did really grip the heaviness of Jesus.  He went along with baptism, confirmation, communion, all of that, but never really thought about it hard enough to accept it.  Or, he did think about it, but was never able to claim it as truth.  That would have been natural for a rebellious, authority-questioning teenager, right?  But what if, 10 years down the road, when he was a family man, raising kids and trying to show them how to live ethically, he reevaluated the faith he was raised on and saw the goodness in it?  What if it wasn't until then that he came back to it, this time really claiming it as his belief system?  Well, he never reached that age.  So, if he was that teenager who never did accept Jesus as his savior, whether his relatives want him to be in Heaven or not (not like ANY of us don't!), he's in Hell, forever.  If only he'd have made it 10 more years.  How is that fair?  And why are my parents talking about something that happened 8 years ago?  He is where he is, and maybe that's just in a coffin.
I think that was everything religious that came up in my mini-vacation.  It was probably because I was around my parents so much more than I usually am, and they are very devout.  But it used to seem normal.  Now, all of the Christian jargon, the "Praise the Lord"s, the praying for small things just feels unnecessary and fake.  I'm glad to be in a doubting place, but it does make things uncomfortable.  Still, it was a very, very fun vacation!  I was just more tuned in to these things than I probably usually would have been.

7 comments:

  1. It is amazing how quickly religious things that once seemed so normal and familiar begin to sound superstitious and just plain strange. Sounds like you had an intense session of that on your trip.

    I always hated the "where will the deceased spend eternity" conversations. Too often like your situation it involved loved ones who certainly would not be considered bound for heaven by conservative evangelical standards. Most evangelicals I know at that point will flex and allow for the possibility that God would see fit to admit them to heaven, but it's a sham, because under normal circumstances they would not allow for that option, if the person did not hold to something along their line of gospel thought.

    Perhaps the best part of leaving behind Christianity for me, not so much worrying about my loved one's eternal destiny, but worrying about dealing with other Christians who would think I was compromising on the need for firm belief that unbelievers were gonna roast forever in hell. I lost that when I had to deal with the issue personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely relate to so many of your scenarios, its like you are living my life. It has been especially hard lately, because we are (temporarily) homeschooling for many reasons (none of which have to do with religion). I've found myself visiting secular homeschooling boards to get curriculum that just focuses on education. Talk about not fitting in...I think the problem will be even worse as a homeschooler. My parents seem very similar to yours. I love them dearly, but they dont quite understand doubt, although they do know about the severity of mine. My mom always corrects me when I use the word lucky (needs to be blessed). Anyways, I wanted to suggest this blog post that was helpful to me (from a Christian perspective) - click here for post

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the potential singing selection for your friend's wedding: So much of the choral tradition is rooted in religion (Heck, of all music. Heck, of all art!), I want to encourage you to not even worry about if you believe in what you're singing. It's art. It's a thing of beauty. The song was likely written to celebrate the goodness of God, but when you sing it just sing it as a celebration of their love. Don't think of it as truth or religion. Think of it as a metaphor for something greater than yourself: love and beauty.

    And concerning you counseling your cousin on taking a mission trip: You're not a hypocrite. You've been where she is. You're being supportive and sympathetic. It's STILL hard for you to find an encouraging community to help you with your faith (faith in what specifically you're still questioning, but faith in something nonetheless). It's hard for any of us, isn't it? Keep encouraging her. Who is she hurting right now? Let her travel on her journey, wherever she's going. She could become more religious and devout, but being related to you she's likely to be a good person and will use her faith to guide her to help others. She could be confronted with contrary beliefs and run into doubts. If that happens you can be there for her again in that scenario. The biggest way you would be a hypocrite, though, is if you were to tell her that what she believes is not correct and that the Truth is out there to be discovered. Forcing your beliefs on her right now would put you in a similar place of evangelizing as your father... just without the pamphlets. The answer here is what you're already doing: being compassionate, being empathetic, and being tolerant.

    Lastly, I think your mom is onto you. She's a pretty bright woman. Your dad might be in denial... or is just oblivious. Will they know by Thanksgiving? Because that holiday is generally filled with all sorts of religious everything. Not to even mention Christmas...

    God speed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tricia!

    I'm a college buddy of Teresa's. Coming to you from a Jewish/Agnostic family/stepfamily, I agree with her about the song for your friend's wedding. I have a soft spot in my heart for Christmas carols, although I don't celebrate it. You can appreciate the beauty of a song or a piece of art that has Christian or other religious roots even if you don't share the beliefs of the artist that created it.

    As far as your young cousin, I agree with Teresa again. She's in a place right now where she's looking for certain things. It's not hypocritical to relate to her in that way, and to meet her where she's at. I'm a therapist, and "meet people where they're at" all the time, even if what I want for them or what I see is right coming from my worldview is completely different than what they might need in that moment. She's 18, and not in a place to hear about your search. That's ok. Developmentally, she's at an age where it's normal to adhere pretty rigidly to something (that includes rebellion - you can adhere rigidly to your rebellion!). It sounds like you gave her what she needed at the time you met her, and I think that's great.

    Best of luck to you in your quest. I love reading your blog. And consider visiting a synagogue! If nothing else, it would be interesting to see the faith that the Christian faith grew out of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thank you all for your comments. They remind me that as real as my thoughts and feeling are, they may be a little dramatic. Thank you, Teresa and AJ (glad to see you here!) for the advice on not feeling like I need to agree with everything I sing. With Christmas coming up, I had thought about how I would reconcile my unbelief with what has always been one of my favorite holidays. I've decided that I'll take the view that you two are suggesting- admiring it as a beautiful story of a loving savior entering into a world that needs help, but not feeling like I have to believe it all in order to celebrate it or enjoy singing the carols.

    Teresa, my plans are to go to the Episcopal church this Sunday, then 4 Square on the 21st, Colorado the next week for Thanksgiving, then go to my home church on the 5th of December and tell them that afternoon. I actually had to plan it out, lest I put it off forever (or as you said, Teresa, it becomes something my parents already get but are afraid to confront me about- that may be the case right now).

    And Like a Child, I'm glad we're not alone in this! Thanks for the blog link. I'll start reading that one more often. I like how he mentioned you in one of his posts! He seems like a very cool Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the subject of holidays/singing religious songs, etc.

    At a Shabbat potluck tonight, one woman was talking about a lesson she recently gave to the B'nai Mitzvah kids at their Hebrew school, which was about the word Amen. You may already know this, but apparently it means "I agree." She said this just blew the kids' minds, because they finally had a good way to handle religious events from other faiths. This is something that comes up a lot where I live! The kids were so happy to know they could stand or sit respectfully, pay attention to what was being said and appreciate it for what it is, but by leaving out that particular word you're still being true to yourself and your beliefs. Does that make sense? It seemed like something that might help you as you head into the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AJ, I did know that it meant "I agree," but I hadn't made the connection about how if I don't say it, I'm not really confirming agreement on anything. I like that. Thank you!! By the way, I love the perspective you bring.

    ReplyDelete